Thursday 9 June 2016

Beer kit experiment round 2!

I made a great batch of beer with my last beer beer kit experiment,  you can access that post here 

I had a great idea of how I could do another experiment. I have done this experiment twice now, using a different type of hop each time, both beers came out with a different taste, meaning this is a great way to experiment with different hops and make different styles of beer, and best of all its very simple.

The ingredient I used are as follows.

A single tin beer kit.  I used coopers English bitter which is 1.7kg of malt.
A whole kg of spray malt
20g of hop pellets. The first time I used East Kent Goldings, and the second I used USA Cascade.


First sterilise the fermenter,  a long spoon, and the lid.

Boil the kettle and stand the tin in some hot water to soften the malt. 


Empty the contents of the can into the fermenter.


Tip the hop pellets into the empty can and fill with boiling water. Mix with a spoon and cover. Leave to step for 20 minutes to extract the flavour.





In the meantime, empty the spray malt into the fermenter with a kettle full of water and mix to dissolve.

Once the 20 mins has passed, empty the contents of the can into the fermenter and top up with cold water. Proceed to ferment in the usual way.






No comments:

Post a Comment