Thursday 9 June 2016

Storing Spray Malt

I buy my malt in 3 kilograms bags from a reputable company in Ireland.  I usually mash some crystal malt and speciality grains so a full 3 kilogram bag per batch is not required, unless I want a strong beer.

I usually like a session strength beer and aim for 4 - 4.5% abv, so I find using 2.7kg is sufficient for a 5 gallon batch. Storing spray malt can be tricky though. You can also add a couple of hundred grams of sugar and save a bit of malt, but slightly boost the strength to compensate. You really won't notice any difference in body over 2 or 3 hundred grams of cane sugar.

If you are mashing crystal malt, you can also reduce the spay malt even more as the crystal malt adds fermentable sugars to the wort.

The best way is to weigh out the amount you wish to store into an air tight clip top box as below.   I use a sticky label and write the weight on it, you can then add to it with the next batch and amend the label.

This is then perfect to use in a single can kit recipe, and gives a single tinned kit beer a much greater body than using cane sugar. I find something like a coopers kit really benefits from swapping sugar for malt.


I have stored kilos of spray malt in this way after splitting large bag's, all in my humid kitchen that feeds a family of 4 and I have never had a problem with it going sticky. It's the perfect storage for spray malt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment